“They want to what!?” said Admiral Triggit, almost shouting. His voice carried across the bridge of the Mothership. It said what every person in it was thinking. It was almost unbelievable. Had he not heard those words with his own ears, he would’ve thought someone was playing a joke on him. “Comm, send a text only message to Commodore Kuei. Send ‘Ask him why.’ Do it.” “Why do you wish to join us?” came the voice from the Comm system. “Well, there are several reasons,” said Captain Loran’s voice. “One is, that our families won’t suffer, since we are, as I’ve explained to you, dead by all accounts in Taiidan files. Two, the evil and corruption behind the Taiidan government have to end. We want it gone. Since we are not enough nor have the resources to do so, joining you gives us the opportunity to make the Taiidan Empire pay.” “But you’ll be fighting against your fellow Taiidan, Captain Loran,” said Lin. “We know, but most of those are volunteers. Someone who chooses to serve evil is evil.” “There is another point. We are not here to bring the Empire down. We are here to reclaim our homeworld, for it seems it was taken from our race ages ago.” “We know, and we will help you do that, for in helping you reach your homeworld, for succeeding, we’ll have told the rest of the galaxy that the Taiidan Empire can be defeated. It will allow my people to know that beating the Empire is not an impossible thing. It could unite us, and for that, we would be truly in your debt.” The Taiidan captain paused. “Then there is also the fact that there are still Kushan living inside the Empire, as last-class people. They are almost slaves.” “There are more of us alive?” asked Lin awe. “Yes they are, but how is it they are in the Empire, while you were exiled, I know not. It was prohibited to posses that bit of knowledge. Have you met the Bentusi?” “Yes… we have.” Said Lin cautiously. “You should ask them. They live outside Taiidan law because of the fact that they live in their ship. They answer only to the Galactic Council.” “Sure. We’ll do so next time we meet, but back to the subject. You want to join us.” “Yes, we do.” Captain Loran replied with a decided voice, a voice that showed he had made his mind up. Lin took a deep breath. “Captain Loran, personally, I thank you for your decision. However, this is something I can’t decide myself. I must discuss this matter with my superiors. In the meantime, you’ll be allowed to stay on your ships. Please co-operate with our men.” Lin stopped. This was most unexpected. Never in his life had he thought on this. He needed to choose his steps carefully. “I will send a shuttle for you in a moment. We shall then depart for the Mothership.” “Thank you, Commodore Kuei. I’ll be waiting for your shuttle.” With that, the transmission ended. Lin shuddered. Now, he had to talk with the whole commanding structure, for an alliance of this magnitude involved every Kushan in the fleet. “Prepare the shuttle, but have it wait. I’ll be going too.” “Captain Loran, I believe?” said Lin in a casual voice. The tall Taiidan nodded. “Correct. You are Commodore Kuei?” asked Captain Loran. “Yes. Come take a seat. These shuttles are not very luxurious, but they serve their purpose well enough.” “Indeed. It is a pleasure to meet you, meet you, Commodore.” Said Captain Loran, seating himself in the chair in front of Lin. “Call me Lin. If we’re going to share this trip and the privilege of serving the fleet, then there is no reason to be so formal between ourselves. If my superiors don’t agree with you joining us, then I’ll die happily knowing I knew a Taiidan.” “Likewise. Call me Garik.” And so they sat in, speaking for the rest of the not so short trip to the Mothership, for there was higher priority in shuttling the heavily injured. In that time, both commanders learned about each other, making out of themselves instant friends. “Admiral Triggit, this is unbecoming! We Kushan cannot ally with a Taiidan, not after all those Kushan they have murdered!” The argument came from Commodore Sixtus Qinn. He had been fighting with that argument for the whole five hours the debate had lasted. He didn’t like Lin either, which made his decision not so unexpected. “Then you should remove yourself from command,” came the quiet voice of Commodore Leona Tavira, someone in favour of the Taiidan defectors. “If a person is to be judged by it’s clan doings in the past, then you of Kiith Sith’kaar should be dead as well. Your atrocities against the Kushan race are also disgusting.” Qinn opened his mouth to protest but Tavira added, before he could say anything: “But that is not the way this universe works, and you all know that.” The room contained four people: Admiral Triggit, the three surviving Commodores, since the fourth died on board the Indomitable and six other military and civilian commanders. “Stop. Now.” The voice from Admiral Triggit stopped all murmurs. “We are not here to discuss past history-” Qinn snorted “-nor are we here to debate moral issues. The actions of one are not to be charged to another. Accusing innocent beings knowingly is also an atrocity by Kharak law, a law we still follow on this fleet. Understood?” Both Commodore Qinn and Tavira nodded. Qinn seemed a bit more subdued. Tavira’s comment had gone deep into his mind. “Since no one” continued the Admiral “has been promoted to the rank of Commodore yet since the death of our partner, this council has been left with an even number of members. Thus, the decision we make has to be approved with an overwhelming majority and in one go. We can’t do several debates because time is not in our favour. We have debated for over five exhausting hours. All points of view, I believe, have been exposed. Now, let us vote. Those in favour of having the Taiidan with us, in one fleet, raise your hand.” Commodore Lin did so, as did Admiral Triggit, Commodore Tavira and five of the other seven people. Commodore Qinn did not, as it was expected. Nor did one of the Division Managers. “The motion passes with eight votes in favour, two against.” Admiral Triggit reached the Comm system. “Captain, please let Captain Loran in.” Garik came in, saluted and sat besides Lin, Admiral Triggit said. “Captain Loran, we have decided you to allow you to join us. We’ll discuss assignments another day. As Taiidan representative, you are therefore raised to the rank of Commodore and will have a vote in this council.” Lin patted Garik in the back. “Now,” said Admiral Triggit, “let us hear the reports. Damage estimates…”